Saturday, July 17, 2010

How can a loving god torture people forever?

http://www.what-the-hell-is-hell.com/FromHellsEternalDeath.htm

To come to grips with the concept of hell is not easy since we are a nation of believer obsessed with hell and what we perceive as the coming doomsday of the billions of people on planet earth.  Obsession with hell has it's roots in america in "The Great Awakening" and before that in the King James Bible.  My earliest recollections of church and church camp sermons are recollections of messages meant to frighten young people in the hands of  a loving god that would just as readily throw their soul in hell for any number of sins and blasphemy as not.  I searched through a 100 websites that claim and promise a god who is going to torture "unsaved" souls forever in a place of eternal torment until I found this very thoughtful discussion of hell by a bible believing scholar.

I have come to a place in my life that I question the doomsday prophets and "evangelical" messages that god is eagerly awaiting a reason and a chance to throw humanity into a place of eternal torment.  This is ridicuous.  Man made religion and powerful kingdoms have used the fear of hell to control the masses for centuries.  It is still being done today.  To be set free to love god and not fear him as your potential torturer is a really free place to be after 50 years of nothing but doomsday.  I will blog more about what I have learned about hell...in the meantime please check out this website.