Saturday, July 10, 2010

Everlasting Fire (Matthew 17:8)

Matthew 17:8  "Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee; it is better to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands and two feet to be cast into everlasting fire."

Jesus' ministry was one of healing and warning listeners about hell.  The bible is replete with promises that mankind is promised by God a place of everlasting torment for disobeying the commandments of God.  He not only includes all the Old Testament commands but adds new ones like Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned."  Jesus was very focused on warning all listeners about God's damnation.  Not only must mankind believe in God and Jesus, but must be baptized to be saved from the tortures of hell."   Jesus was preoccuppied with hell.

Religion has used the fear of hell as a way to control the masses and subdue them for centuries.  Without the fear of hell people simply would not be able to be controlled.  Fear causes people to accept that with one or any missteps God will torment them forever in the afterlife.  It is religion's most useful tool.  No one knows what the afterlife promises and yet eternity is a lifetime obsession.  We have "denominations" that all disagree how and at what age people can be baptized, and what constitutes a "valid" belief in Jesus.  Fifty six years of life tell me that no one group or organization has all the answers.  Americans strongly believe their specific beliefs and faith will save them from an angry god.  I have finally chosen to see the beauty and goodness and loveliness of the world and deduce that God is not waiting for me to "mess up" so he can torment me forever.  I am no longer controlled by fear and it is a very free place to be.  I spent years worrying about whether God loved me and whether I would go to heaven.  My path now is a simple acknowledgement that I would not torture my children or anyone else's children for any reason whatsoever.  If that consciousness abides in me and mankind in general around the world then that goodness is resident in the universe and all around us.  I no longer accept the angry and violent God we have been told about in the bible, but embrace goodness and kindness.  It is the most wonderful place to be.  My God is not angry, violent and creating a place to torture people forever.